Soft mattress topper vs Firm mattress topper – Features, comparison between two kind. Which one/when to choose? Top recommendations?…. We will cover everything you need to know about soft and firm mattress topper in this article.
A mattress topper is usually used when you need to make mattress firmer or make mattress softer according to your desired comfort level. Mattress toppers also help in reviving old mattresses by giving an extra top cover which is capable of accessorizing the dents and bumps as well as add supportive layers to make the mattress feel as good as new.
Though you may not use just any kind of mattress topper, rather you may have to select the materials, the size, the thickness and density of the topper,… according to the present situation of your existing mattress you have on your bed. Like, if you have a sagging mattress you may need a firm mattress topper while for a firm bed you may need to find a soft and cozy mattress topper. In addition to that material with which the topper are made also make a lot of difference and can help people feel and sleep the way they prefer the most.
Firm Mattress Topper and Soft Mattress Topper – Things You Should Know About
What is a soft mattress topper?
A soft mattress topper has a less dense feel and is comprised of the lower density of the foam material that is being used in it. It provides a cozy and comfortable surface to keep your body relaxed and warm by cradling your body according to like in a lap. Though it is preferable in a number of conditions when you need to have a soft, cozy and comfortable bed to help you relax but it may not be a suitable thing for people having certain medical conditions.
A soft mattress topper can adjust to the bumps and dents of your sagging mattress, a thin or a hard mattress that is not so much comfortable for you. Such toppers increase the comfort level of the mattress by making it feel softer and relaxing.
Important things to know about soft mattress topper
Soft mattress toppers are good for the people who have some muscular stiffness issues or for those who get fatigued or tired very easily. Their muscles mat get relieved when they sleep on a soft mattress. So, adding a soft mattress topper to the bedding setup of the person who needs to relax their muscles, they should go for a soft mattress topper that is usually capable of regulating the warmth level of the body, as well.
- It should be kept in mind that soft mattress topper gets flattened very quickly. It is always better to get a medium density mattress topper that is neither too firm nor too soft.
- Due to increased body temperature, the mattress may cause certain kinds of skin allergies for those who are prone to smells, germs or moisture.
- Soft mattress toppers are better for the users who need to comfort their muscles and relax their nerves after tedious routine work.
- Too soft mattress toppers are not good for those with spinal cord issues and backbone problems or back pain and arthritis.
- These are useful to add comfort when you have an overly firm mattress and need to get a softer feel on it.
- Soft mattress toppers are easy to maintain and lightweight.
What is a firm mattress topper?
A firm mattress topper is not soft, of course, rather it is capable of lifting and supporting the body in a firm way. Though we may not consider them as the stiff surface, but the firm mattress topper adds a sufficient amount of supportive layer that will keep your body straight and in its natural posture by keeping the bones in place.
A firm mattress topper is denser and has more weight as compared to the soft toppers. In case you are considering to buy a memory foam instead of a conventional foam mattress topper, you may need to select the density of the topper. The higher the density value the firmer the topper will be. Though it is always recommended that you may need to select a medium density level to keep your body relaxed and still get enough support to let you sleep in your natural posture.
- Too firm mattress toppers are not good for people having muscular pains and strained muscles.
- A medium firm gel mattress topper is good for people having arthritis, neck and back pain and spinal cord issues because the mattress topper will help the body stay in its best posture and keep the spinal cord safe from collapsing and bending irregularly. Too firm mattress topper may cause discomfort.
- People having breathing issues and sleep apnea may need firmer toppers.
- A firm mattress topper help in alleviating the sweating problem and will not let the body build up the heat.
- Firm toppers last more as compared to the soft mattress toppers due to their dense structure.
- These toppers are a bit heavier than the soft toppers but if you have selected medium firmness, it will not make a considerable difference.
- These toppers are capable of reviving sagging mattresses and may help in making the mattress firmer.
Soft Topper vs Firm Mattress Topper – Comparison
|Features||Soft mattress topper||Firm mattress topper|
|Comfort and coziness||Very comfortable and cozy feel||Not cozy, comfortable in medium firmness|
|Role and function||Help in making firm mattresses soft.||Help in making soft mattresses form.|
|Support||Not too supportive but cuddles your body||Highly supportive and keeps your body well in form|
|Best for…||Best for users having tense muscles or other muscular issues.||Best for users having neck and back pain, spinal cord alignment, sleep apnea, breathing issues.|
|Temperature regulation||May cause an increase in body temperature and sweating||Do not cause overheating and let the air flow around the body.|
|Life span||Soft mattress toppers may have a shorter lifespan than the firmer ones||Firm mattress topper last longer.|
|Density/weight/thickness||Less dense and light in weight may not be very thick.||Medium to high density, slightly heavier and thicker than soft toppers.|
|Maintenance||Can be lifted and placed easily.||Need more effort than soft toppers.|
|Mattress revival and improvement||Less capable of helping you revive sagging mattress.||Capable of helping you revive your sagging mattress.|
When Do We Need to Use a Soft or Firm Mattress Topper?
When we should use a soft mattress topper?
As discussed earlier, we may need to buy a soft mattress topper in many different conditions like:
- To make a highly firm mattress softer for a comfortable feel.
- For helping people relax their muscles when they are feeling tired and tense.
- To get warmth while sleeping.
We may not need such a topper if there are a spinal cord, backbone, and neck related issues.
When we should use a firm mattress topper?
A firm mattress topper can do wonders when used on a sagging or a worn out mattress. It is capable of helping the user in the following conditions:
- It may help in making very soft or sagging mattress firmer and gives it a form and shape as good as if it is a new mattress.
- You may use it when you need to keep your body straight in its best form when you have spinal, vertebral or neck pain.
Special instructions for arthritis patients
People having arthritis may need a supportive yet soft mattress. So, in that case, you may need to select a medium firm mattress topper to make sure the skeletal muscles and the joints stay in place and may not develop pressure points due to high pressure exerted by the body weight and the firm mattress topper.
Best Soft Mattress Toppers – recommendation
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
If you are interested in buying a soft mattress topper to add a little more comfort and luxury to your bedding system then it is always better to buy a cuddly material that are capable of providing a soft surface for your comfort. Though you can find conventional foam toppers, memory foam toppers having low density and latex toppers with lesser firmness, but when you combine the two dimensions of comfort including the supportive comfort of memory foam and soft plush luxury obtained from the fiber fillers layers, Sleep Innovations 4 inch dual layer mattress topper is formed.
The topper has a unique construction as it provides a layer of 2-inch thick memory foam that creates a stable, adjusting and conforming platform and it is paired with a fiber fillers 2inch thick layer to give the user a cushy feel for a softer and luxuriously comforting feel.
- It is a great choice when you need to have an extra soft topper.
- It is available in 5 different sizes.
- 4-inch thick dual mattress topper.
- It can help you revive your dying mattress.
- It provides a cool comfort without causing heating issues.
- It is very easy to maintain and can be cleaned easily.
- Provides gentle support and comfort to the body.
- Made in the USA
- It comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- Relieves body pressure and help you relax more and sleep comfortably in your bed.
Memory Foam Gel Infused 2-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Gel infused memory foam is always a better choice when you need to have a soft and breathable mattress topper. This mattress topper has an odorless constitution which confirms to the international standards and fulfil all the comfort needs of the user. The topper has a soft luxurious finish to give you the best and the most comfortable sleep you need by relieving pressure on the body and help you relax more and feel easy while asleep.
- The topper is available in 6 different sizes.
- It is breathable and odor free.
- Completely hypoallergenic and has the Certi-PurUs standard certification as being safe for the user and the environment as well.
- Helps to relax and keeps your body sweat free and luxuriously comfortable.
- Can be put on your sagging bed but may not be able to give you enough support if the bed has lots of bumps.
Best Firm Mattress Toppers – Recommendation
4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Topper
Having a firm mattress topper means you need a supportive yet comfortable mattress topper that will not let your body cuddled in an irregular, rather such toppers keep you comfortable yet in the natural posture your body needs to maintain.
This mattress topper is composed of 3-inch thick memory foam layer whereas the memory foam has the 4 pounds density which is slightly firmer and not too soft to be considered as a soft topper. 4 pounds density is considered to be the ideal firmness level for body support and comfort.
- This topper can use to revive your old sagging bed.
- It is hypoallergenic and helps to provide a hygienic solution for your comfort needs.
- It is capable of supporting the body and keep the body safe from getting collapsed in the bed and maintain its healthy posture.
- Firm enough to give you enough support that you need to relieve joint pain and back pain.
- Made in the USA.
- Available in 6 sizes
- Offer 60 days money back guarantee and 3 years warranty as well.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
100 percent latex cannot be found easily, as most of the latex foams are made of blended latex. But this Sleep on Latex product comes with a claim as being manufactured with 100 percent latex with no fillers or synthetic materials. It is quite sure that latex is more supportive, firm and durable as compared to memory foam.
If you need firm and supportive topper that also gives a certain level of comfort then choosing this latex mattress topper can be a better choice for you.
- It is purely natural and will not harm you in any way.
- It is durable and will maintain its structure for years to come.
- It can help in improving your mattress condition by covering the bumpy areas and give you a straight surface to sleep easy.
- Well ventilated and odor free.
- Available in 6 sizes and 3 levels of thickness.
- Firmness rating of the topper is 44 ILD with 5.9 lbs./ cu.ft
Though the firmness and the softness of the mattress topper can be a personal choice depending on the needs of the user, but as a general rule, a firm mattress topper is always meant for those who need to relieve muscle pain and fatigue, while soft mattress toppers are good for warmth and luxury.
What is different in conventional and fiber/down filled mattress toppers?
You can see that extremely firm and extremely soft mattresses cannot be good for everyone and that is why latex and memory foam mattress toppers have come in this field. Such materials provide a medium level of firmness and softness while keeping the support features as well.
Fiber filled mattress toppers and conventional mattress toppers can also be considered good if you don’t need any customized body support while sleeping as conventional mattresses can be firmer but they may not last for a long time, whereas fiber filled and down filled toppers are cuddly and soft but they don’t support your body at all and only give you an extra plush and soft feel for an increased warmth and comfort.
So, if you need support, comfort and a long lasting luxurious bed, you may prefer to buy a medium soft mattress topper, slight various are good if you have some special needs but you must consider your bodily needs very carefully.